More engine stuff

Ok so a little more on this engine:

Image

As I said last time I took out the carbs for a rebuild. After I had freed a stuck throttle shaft, they were ready to go, after nothing more than a basic clean.
Image

I decided today to tackle the ignition system. These don’t like corrosion, and rarely get maintained.

Image
So first job was to pull a pair of coils off and give them a clean. Again this is not a big budget build, its just a good service tidy up and reassemble, using where possible serviceable parts.

Image
Cleaned coil on the right.

Then I gave the plate a good scrub with a wire brush.
Image
You can see here there is a region that was not painted. This is for a wire to rest against. I’m not quite sure what its purpose is, that I must find out. But it causes corrosion like on my other V6 220HP engine.

Image
Top one done, middle and bottom to follow. I wasn’t intending on doing them all today, which is why its not been done in one large section. Looking much better however!

After this I decided to see what I could do with the wiring loom. I hate mercurys looms which are covered with tape. They look so messy around the back. I decided to see if I could cover them with some plastic wire sleeve which I use on car looms.

Image
Its a bit hard to see if you don’t know what your looking for. Spot the two small wire harnesses. One covered in tape the other in a nice clean plastic sleeve. It worked a treat. I’ll do the other one next week.

Image
As it stands now. Will finish this off next week. Hope to paint the bilge area of the boat over the weekend. Then its ready to mount the engine.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *