Time to think about an engine.

A little fill-in. The origional plan was to fit an old Mercury Tower of Power inline 6 140hp engine. I had one of these from the previous 165 project, but sadly it was in need of a lot of TLC. one of the main issues was the old skool tilt/trim unit I had. The external rams were a headache and I wanted to modernise it. I found a complete tilt/trim unit from ebay USA and had it sent over, all in for about £260. So not too bad. It was promised working and ready to go, and initially it looked fine:

Image

So I tested it on a battery and it made a horrific noise and seized. Hmm not good. Off cam the motor case and here is what I found:

Image

Turns out the motor case had suffered some kind of heavy impact breaking a corner off one of the magnets. This had jammed in the windings tearing them apart. Bad!!!

Bits of copper wire:
Image

So I emailed the seller saying about the problem asking if he had any new motors I could replace with. He said not but would refund $100. So I set about trying to think how to solve this. A new motor is around £150 and I didn’t want to waste even more money. So at this point I decided to do it the old-skool way…

I stripped the armature and drew down how it was wound:
Image

Armed with this I searched and found some suitable enamelled wire on ebay.
Image

Then the fun began!
Image

After only about 20 mins I had finished:
Image

Image

Image

And now its all back in one piece and is working absolutely fine on the bench!!

Just need to re cut some of the threads and get the correct bolts and I can fix the trim unit onto the transom bracket. After this I can start thinking about the power head!

Awesome :)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *