Trailer service and engine fitting

Now the engine is ready for some testing, I wanted to get on with the boat some more. With the floors now cut and ready, and the trailer needing some attention it was time to take the boat back to the workshop and get some more awkward stuff out of the way.

This time I was joined by two mates, who are both now getting excited at getting this on the water. So first thing was to see if we could get it onto the ramp. Amazingly we managed to do this, but had to remove the mudguards to get the swing arms under the boat:

Image
This brings back memories!!! Only minor issue was that since there was no outboard on the boat, it was a bit front happy, so we strapped the boat down to the ramp legs just to be on the safe side.

And then on to the trailer we went. First thing was to deal with the rather tired bunks. One had snapped at some point (FYI I’ve never launched this boat yet, and the trailer has never been looked at before by me) and all of the bunk hardware was looking pretty bad.

Image
Snapped bunk. Very rusty indeed.

Image
This fitting was still intact, the one opposite had fallen apart. However all of it had to go, so it was all stripped off and thrown away.

Image
The next bit to remove was the old winch. It again was looking very tired and rusty (in the background of this pic) It was replaced with one I’d got from the SBR boat show a couple of years ago. Oh and also the hitch was very stiff. It took two blowtorches and a fair bit of force to remove an old stuck nut on that, and then it could be serviced and cleaned. The other thing was that the box section 4×3 inch is obviously hollow. Due to the forces on the jockey wheel it had partially collapsed. So I cut a smaller piece of box section up and hammered it in the front open end of the trailer metal work. This pushed out the dent and now gave the bolts that pass through that box section and hold on the jockey wheel something to clam down on. Another annoying job fixed!!

In the end the front of the trailer now looked like this:
Image

Next was the floor, that had to be ground clean and wiped with Acetone then I glassed down the cut pieces of wood.
Image

So I took a rest on Sunday, and made a plan for today. A little trip to Southampton this morning to a company called Extreme Marine and I came back with the following:
Image
Can’t recommend Extreme Marine high enough. I called them in the morning said what I wanted to do and was told no problem just pop down. They had every single thing you could ever want for a boat trailer and made them in house. I’ll be going back there for sure.

So this bit was quite good fun. Like a large Lego kit I assembled the parts and put them on the trailer. After a few test fittings (gotta love the ramp) I had it done.
Image

Image
Amazing transformation!!! Can’t wait to try this out…

So the boat was lowered back onto the trailer and everything checked. No problems here so now it was onto mounting the engine.

Image
Test fitting the engine, to work out holes..

Image
This was horrible drilling new holes in a new transom – but all for a good cause. If interested like my old blue boat, I offset the engine again to help counter prop torque. It seemed to work really well on that blue one. Not so much on this one, just one inch.

Image
Engine on!!!! This is a test fit really, as it will have to be removed. There are a few issues I need to address with the steering system. Not sure what my options are at the moment. Looking good though ;)

Image
Tilt and trim works!

So that’s it for now. But getting there. I can smell sea already!

Internal stuff

Managed to get some time on the hull again on Saturday, and was joined again by my mate Simon who gave a hand. First up was to pull up the final small pieces of rotten floor. This was only a small area, and in fact wasn’t so rotten really. It had de-laminated, but it appeared due to stress cracks rather than being rotten. Either way it was cut out an a new piece laid in its place. The final piece to do was the piece of floor that was cut out that covered up the rear of the boat into the bilge area. I decided to lay the pump and float switch in this area as to cut out as small an area as possible from the floor. Things tend to fall down into the space otherwise.

Both bits of new floor can be seen here:

Image

Image

All being well I’ll get this glassed in this week. Then it all needs painting and its ready to be kitted out. Need to decide now where I can put the battery and other parts.

We did remove the fuel tank. I wanted to physically measure it, and came up with a value of 80 litres. I’d like more but realistically I’m only going to get in another 20 litres or so if I replaced it, so I think that can stay. for the time being.

Here is Si, trying to measure the tank before we just decided to pull it out and check it over :)

Image
not the most spacious of cuddies ;)