Finishing touches

A little more today, the boat is back home now here are some pics anyway:

Rubbing strips back on. They look fine, yes you can see the join but it’s not an issue at all.
Image

Cable cover things also now on. I didn’t notice until it was time to fit them, but they are slightly different. The height difference is also intentional. I wanted them straight, but they were previously drilled holes (not by me).
Image

One of the most terrifying jobs so far. Drilling into the brand new transom to fit the motor well drain tube.
Image

And also the bilge drain plug. I did consider not doing this since the pump would be there at all times, but since its nice to leave open just in case over winter etc, I decided it could go on.
Image

A perfectly dry core – and long may it stay that way! Obviously this was sealed up before the drain plug etc was fitted.
Image

Back seats up in position and the drain plug just visible. I didn’t take any close ups just yet.
Image

Also had a bracket arrive today for the outboard. Need to get a newer style tilt/trim unit. That’s proving tricky at the moment. Hopefully rapid progress on the engine front will happen now the hull is ready to accept an engine!!!

Time for some paint

Decided to get off my backside and take the boat back to the workshop today. Bodywork/paint isn’t my speciality and its so messy, but has to get done.

So with the back end of the boat stuffed in the workshop I started to sand back all the primer from the last coat, and to make the cuts less obvious. I was genuinely daunted by this. It seemed an impossible task with such an obvious cut and slight imperfections where the two top halves now joined. I decided just to be patient and see what I could do. Fortunately filler goes off quite quickly so if I had made any mistakes I could just start again until I was happy.

So after a few hours of sanding filling then repeat, I had it at a point where it looked like this:

Image
Image
Image

I decided enough and, so now to clean and prepare for the top coat, 1 litre of sprayed paint later:

Image

Image

Amazing, It actually looks really good. Sure its not perfect, but its good enough that I’m happy with it. I don’t yet know how well it will blend from gelcoat to paint, but hopefully with polishing that will be fine. If all else fails I’ll paint the rest of the top half.

So the bits that really bothered me i.e. the cuts, also came out ok. I took some close ups, see what you think:

The join is where the metal strip ends… You can see my shadow in this, that’s not in the finish
Image
Again.. The join is where the metal strip ends…
Image

And finally the pic of what started this in the first place:
Image

I have a couple of minor runs to deal with, only 3 I think which isn’t bad considering, but for now I need to let the paint harden for a while now, I’m slightly worried that the cover is to heavy and abrasive that it may damage the paint so I’m going to see if I can leave it undercover for a week to let it fully cure, that will help.

So I’m nearly onto the next stage, I can’t wait!!! I’ll fit a new bung and motor well drain as well as a few other bits. Then I’ll start to work on the inside of the boat, this is the bit I enjoy most out of the water I think. I really can’t wait to get all the audio/engine/wiring etc on this – Exciting times ahead!!