Tidying it all up. The finishing touches.

After the snow has thawed, it was time to put all those little bits I had learnt last year into action. It was time to tidy up the boat and make it how I felt it should be.

This started by taking the boat to my work and putting it on the ramp so things could be worked on more easily.

01-01042010320

One of the first things I did was replace a mudguard that had rusted and become detached.

02-IMG_7442

Then the fuel tank was removed after space was found at the front and the repair to the rear begun.

03-IMG_7444

Polyester resin used here. The same stuff halfords sell for cars. I was warned away from this but actually it worked perfectly.

04-IMG_7447

05-IMG_7450

06-IMG_7451

Notice the wiring was tidied up as well.

07-IMG_7454

08-IMG_7456

Then I painted it – and you would never have known I had even cut it!! I was pleased by this finally!!

09-20062010428

Speakers added!

10-20062010430

I actually ended up painting the whole top half of the boat, after some front end damage was also done. A new rubbing strip was found and the top half of the boat was now beginning to look pretty damn good.

Next came the interior. This was a whole new thing for me. I had to ask my mum if I could borrow her sewing machine! She thought I had gone mad, and to be fair so did I.

12-IMG_7386

But in any case I carefully unpicked the old upholstery, marked it out and after a bit of reading worked out how to use the sewing machine and got going.

13-IMG_7390

14-IMG_7414

15-IMG_7417

16-IMG_7418

I thought I did quite well I must say. This below REALLY impressed me hahaha.

17-IMG_7419

So coming together now. Looking better..

18-IMG_7420

Now you have the idea!!

19-IMG_7424

Then onto the seats. These were tricky. Like playing in 3d space you had to think from all sorts of angles, but somehow I did it.

20-IMG_7429

21-IMG_7434

Back into the boat that wasn’t the only thing that needed doing. The dash and side panels were also rotten. So out that came the panels.

22-IMG_7441

And new ones went in.

23-13062010416

Half way there now! The fuel tank is now behind the center panel in the front. This was a much better idea. The boat I was to learn would be much better on the water like this.

24-13062010418

The much needed electronics and radio were then fitted!

25-23062010438

Looking good!!!

26-24062010439

And the final job done!

27-IMG_8288

Stitched Panorama

Notice the 12inch kenwood sub below! Gotta love the tunes! Oh and new glove box.

29-IMG_8291

30-IMG_8294

31-IMG_8297

32-IMG_8298

Stitched Panorama

And finally the stickers.

34-IMG_8313

So this is how it ended up. You need to read the trips now if you have not already. The boat was shortly sold after this with a 50hp engine – never to be seen again. But I have to say this was an amazing boat. and had some incredible times on it. What I didn’t realise however is just how long it would be until I was on the water again. That all continues with the 170GTO Project!

 

New year + Half finished boat, April time to get out again

So you will know if you have read the “tidying it all up” story that I was doing a lot to the boat over winter/new year. Well April came along fast and still wasn’t quite finished, and it was a Steve’s wedding soon, so we made a trip out on the boat part of his Stag day!

So err some of the planned changes were done, fuel tank in the front, but what we didn’t know was that somehow whilst installing it a small amount of dirt got into the tank, this would have been fine except it kept blocking the fuel flow. We found a way around this but typical. This was rectified soon after buy putting a strainer in the tank to prevent anything like this again.

Other than that – successful day on the water. Getting the hang of this now!

As you can see we all looked nice and warm… But the changes to the boat did work fine!