Category Archives: Tidying it all up

Tidying it all up. The finishing touches.

After the snow has thawed, it was time to put all those little bits I had learnt last year into action. It was time to tidy up the boat and make it how I felt it should be.

This started by taking the boat to my work and putting it on the ramp so things could be worked on more easily.

01-01042010320

One of the first things I did was replace a mudguard that had rusted and become detached.

02-IMG_7442

Then the fuel tank was removed after space was found at the front and the repair to the rear begun.

03-IMG_7444

Polyester resin used here. The same stuff halfords sell for cars. I was warned away from this but actually it worked perfectly.

04-IMG_7447

05-IMG_7450

06-IMG_7451

Notice the wiring was tidied up as well.

07-IMG_7454

08-IMG_7456

Then I painted it – and you would never have known I had even cut it!! I was pleased by this finally!!

09-20062010428

Speakers added!

10-20062010430

I actually ended up painting the whole top half of the boat, after some front end damage was also done. A new rubbing strip was found and the top half of the boat was now beginning to look pretty damn good.

Next came the interior. This was a whole new thing for me. I had to ask my mum if I could borrow her sewing machine! She thought I had gone mad, and to be fair so did I.

12-IMG_7386

But in any case I carefully unpicked the old upholstery, marked it out and after a bit of reading worked out how to use the sewing machine and got going.

13-IMG_7390

14-IMG_7414

15-IMG_7417

16-IMG_7418

I thought I did quite well I must say. This below REALLY impressed me hahaha.

17-IMG_7419

So coming together now. Looking better..

18-IMG_7420

Now you have the idea!!

19-IMG_7424

Then onto the seats. These were tricky. Like playing in 3d space you had to think from all sorts of angles, but somehow I did it.

20-IMG_7429

21-IMG_7434

Back into the boat that wasn’t the only thing that needed doing. The dash and side panels were also rotten. So out that came the panels.

22-IMG_7441

And new ones went in.

23-13062010416

Half way there now! The fuel tank is now behind the center panel in the front. This was a much better idea. The boat I was to learn would be much better on the water like this.

24-13062010418

The much needed electronics and radio were then fitted!

25-23062010438

Looking good!!!

26-24062010439

And the final job done!

27-IMG_8288

Stitched Panorama

Notice the 12inch kenwood sub below! Gotta love the tunes! Oh and new glove box.

29-IMG_8291

30-IMG_8294

31-IMG_8297

32-IMG_8298

Stitched Panorama

And finally the stickers.

34-IMG_8313

So this is how it ended up. You need to read the trips now if you have not already. The boat was shortly sold after this with a 50hp engine – never to be seen again. But I have to say this was an amazing boat. and had some incredible times on it. What I didn’t realise however is just how long it would be until I was on the water again. That all continues with the 170GTO Project!